Sarah had her heart set on getting another kitty yesterday - we couldn't go Sunday because most of the shelters were not open, and the truck died that day, so we were a bit distracted... We couldn't go Monday, because Sarah had a babysitting job, and so, we kept putting it off, and she just REALLY wanted to go on Tuesday. She got up in the morning and started calling to see who had kittens in the 5-7 month range. NO ONE. Everyone said "give us three weeks and we'll have a boatload of them!" - we were about to give up, but I tried one more search in our county (we live just over the county line, from the county that Huntsville is actually in) and discovered that the shelter in Decature had at least one in that age range. So we drove over, it's only about 20 minutes from here. She had her choice between two or three, but it was clear, right away, that the one with the personality that she liked the best was the one that also happened to look VERY much like Elliot! She had been saying that she did NOT want another black cat. But she ended up falling in love with this little rascal. The shelter ladies kept emphasizing that he was 'an instigator' 'an active one' and 'a tough one'. We had taken Lilly with us, so she could meet him too, and she was NOT too sure about him at first, she hissed at him the first time she saw him, and was swiping at both him
and at EMMA!! (like she was saying to Emma "you will NOT let this cat
come HOME with us")! But we decided that she would probably warm up to him, given time, and we were glad to hear that this shelter has a 10 day money-back return policy. So we brought him home.
He had MUCH thicker hair than Elliot, and his eyes are tiny, and close together, which gives his face an odd, quizzical look to it, but other than that, it's like having Elliot back. Sarah is still not sure, if she likes that or not. But I really think she'll be so in love with him by the end of the day that she'll not be able to take him back... yesterday when I got home from an appointment that I had to leave for right after we brought him home, she was in the recliner, laid back, with him curled up, asleep on her chest.
Lilly has warmed up to him, they were apparently playing, while I was gone at my appointment yesterday, and this morning, when they came down from the separate bedrooms that they live in (Lilly sleeps with Em, he sleeps with Sarah) they greeted each other pleasantly enough. I'm guessing that before too long they will be romping and playing when they greet each other in the morning. Lilly has really been missing Elliot. I hope that they enjoy each other, and help to fill that empty spot that Lilly has, as we all do, where Elliot used to be in her heart.
I think it will go fine. I'll try to get a photo of him today if he holds still long enough. She has named him Logan.
No comments:
Post a Comment